SHORT PICTORIAL HISTORY
[ Created in 1817/21 ]
Y MAES, CAERNARFON circa
J Fagan's lithograph of painting by J.J.Dodd
Prior to 1817 there was a flat topped green hill [ Y Maes Glas ] on the square.
This was physically removed in cartloads down Castle Hill and used as a
foundation for the Slate Quay when the harbour was extended. The work was
completed by 1821 and is believed to be the earliest form of Job Creation
Scheme making use of the town's unemployed, which included ex-servicemen of
the Napoleonic Wars. It is surprising how little the square has changed since
those early days. Note the building under Queen Eleanor's Gate. The Public
Reading Rooms were situated there.
SIMILAR VIEW of Y MAES
BUT DATED c 1885
Note the fountain which was erected in 1868 is to the left of the picture and
that the Pater Noster Buildings on the right c1883, are shown but that Sir
Hugh Owen's statue is missing. This means that the photo was taken prior to
1888. Possibly 1885.
AT THE UNVEILING OF
SIR HUGH OWEN'S STATUE
Extremely rare photo. The
date was October 26. 1888
CATTLE MARKET ON Y MAES c
This photo shows both the
fountain and Sir Hugh Owen's statue and also the 3 houses in front of the
castle. These were demolished prior to the 1911 Investiture so that the
public could see Queen Eleanor's Gate.
The land was presented to the town by the late [then Mr] C.G. Duff
T. Meirion Hughes